By Keffrelyn D. Brown
This e-book examines how using the “at-risk” class and label creates difficulties for college kids and lecturers. Drawing from study throughout quite a few schooling websites, the writer illustrates how educators realize the label’s capability to redress problems with fairness, yet warns that it could possibly additionally stigmatize the scholars so categorised. Brown explores how the labeling and next practices via academics and colleges really have an effect on scholars, resembling classifying lots of individuals as poor. The textual content presents a old evaluation, discusses the position of federal schooling coverage and instructing, and comprises instruments to aid readers collect extra advanced, severe understandings of threat in academic perform. After the “At-Risk” Label not just demanding situations the schooling group to reorient itself to a extra equitable discourse, it offers a framework for altering the structural stipulations of education to raised serve all students.
- bargains a serious appraisal of the way faculties, coverage, and academics can be complicit in exacerbating stipulations that bring about risk.
- exhibits how race and sophistication biases should be manifested within the “at-risk” identity process.
- Outlines a framework for making experience of, and performing in accordance with, hazard that attends to either the person and the institution.
- Provides a suite of key questions, phrases, and a listing of prolonged actions in every one chapter.
“In this publication, Keffrelyn Brown takes the typical proposal of ‘at-risk’ and turns it on its head. it's relevant that individuals who care for little ones and teenagers grapple with the centrality of her notions. this can be a needs to read!”
—Gloria Ladson-Billings, collage of Wisconsin–Madison
“In this crucial and well timed booklet, Keffrelyn Brown offers a much-needed foundation for considerably rethinking even if probability could be a part of a severe social justice undertaking in education.”
—David Gillborn, collage of Birmingham, UK
“This ebook represents an audaciously actual name to understand extra approximately, to determine extra in, and do extra for college kids who've by some means collected the label ‘at-risk!’”
—H. Richard Milner IV, collage of Pittsburgh
Read or Download After the "At-Risk" Label: Reorienting Educational Policy and Practice (Disability, Culture, and Equity Series) PDF
Similar special education books
A special-needs advisor that ? involves the rescue? ( Carol inventory Kranowitz, writer of The Out-of-Sync baby) of these who fight with an more and more universal . hundreds of thousands of youngsters be afflicted by Nonverbal studying affliction, a neurological deficit that forestalls them from realizing nonverbal cues like tone of voice and facial expressions.
%Have you emotionally suffered via sabotage and administrative loopholes on your position of employment, which ended in wrongful discharge? Crystal E. Emerson has written a rare and poignant documentation of fact. She has skilled the unethical habit of directors and different execs whereas operating in a public institution district within the kingdom of Pennsylvania.
Das Buch stellt in den verschiedenen sonderpädagogischen Förderbereichen systematisch die gängigen Fördermaßnahmen vor und bewertet diese vor dem Hintergrund der vorliegenden empirischen Evaluationen. Die Autoren sind ausgewiesene Expertinnen und Experten, die zu Ihren Spezialgebieten umfassende Recherchen zu vorhandenen Konzepten anstellten.
Akademische Arbeit aus dem Jahr 2005 im Fachbereich Pädagogik - Heilpädagogik, Sonderpädagogik, notice: 1,4, Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Ein Rückblick in die Geschichte der Umsetzung verschiedener Denkmodelle über geistige Behinderung ab 1933 eröffnet diese Arbeit. Zentraler Gegenstand ist dann die Schilderung des Normalisierungsprinzips in seiner Entstehung und weiteren Ausformulierung.
- Research and Global Perspectives in Learning Disabilities: Essays in Honor of William M. Cruikshank (The LEA Series on Special Education and Disability)
- Children with Down's Syndrome: A guide for teachers and support assistants in mainstream primary and secondary schools (Resource Materials for Children)
- Lesen sehbehinderter Schülerinnen und Schüler: Diagnostik und Förderung (Wissenschaftliche Beiträge aus dem Tectum Verlag 36) (German Edition)
- International Perspectives on Science Education for the Gifted: Key issues and challenges (Routledge Research in Achievement and Gifted Education)
- Behaviorask: Straight Answers to Your ABA Programming Questions
Additional info for After the "At-Risk" Label: Reorienting Educational Policy and Practice (Disability, Culture, and Equity Series)
After the "At-Risk" Label: Reorienting Educational Policy and Practice (Disability, Culture, and Equity Series) by Keffrelyn D. Brown